Motor Vehicles

Important Information about Vehicle Taxes
The new Title Ad Valorem Tax (TAVT) goes into effect on March 1, 2013. Read more about this new tax HERE. Get answers to Frequently Asked Questions at

Vehicle Tag Renewals

  • Tags expire on the birthday of the first owner shown. You should receive a bill 30 days prior to renewal. Penalties apply after the birthday deadline. Failure to receive a bill in the mail does not relieve the penalty. If you do not receive a bill, call the Tag Office with your tag number and one will be mailed to you. This must be done in time to insure registration by your birthday.
  • New residents must register their vehicles within thirty days of establishing residency in Georgia. A Georgia Driver's License must be obtained before registering your vehicle. 
  • A person moving here from another county MUST change their drivers license to their MITCHELL county address BEFORE registering a vehicle at our office. A person moving within county may show any bill sent to you as proof of address.
  • You will need a TAG NUMBER or VIN to renew your tag. If the vehicle is in your name we can TRY to pull up the information by your license number! 
  • The STATE OF GEORGIA mails out tag renewal notices. This is a courtesy; you are still responsible for renewing your tags by your birth date. 
  • “IN GOD WE TRUST”, Free, during renewal period. One per every vehicle; any other time a .25 cent fee applies.

Titles & Registration

  • We must have a copy of your Georgia driver’s license to complete your title application.
  • Out-of-state titles must be surrendered and transferred to Georgia titles (year models 1985 and older are not required to be titled in Georgia). If there is a lien on the vehicle and you do not have the title, we must have the current registration and name and address of the lien holder. Additionally leased vehicles require a power of attorney from the leasing company.
  • Georgia liability insurance is required to be transmitted to the state's data base by your insurance company in order to register your vehicle. The vehicle must be covered by liability insurance at all times or a lapse in coverage penalty will apply. If you cancel the insurance, you must also cancel the registration.
  • MV 1 title applications can be taken out of the office for signature.
  • Semi trailers and mobile homes always need a lien release even if it is over ten years.
  • You must get a lien release for a title replacement if the lien is less than ten years.
  • It is the vehicle owner's responsibility to insure their vehicle is properly registered.  If buying a vehicle from an individual you have 7 business days to have it registered.
  • The penalty for late registration is 10% of the tax ($5.00 minimum) and 25% of the tag fee. These penalties begin immediately following the due date.

New and Used Vehicles

  • Newly purchased vehicles must be registered within 30 days. Sales Tax is due before the title is applied for on vehicles purchased from an out-of-state dealer or business. Sales Tax is due at the time the title is applied for on vehicles purchased from an out-of-state dealer or business.
  • New purchases on vehicle can’t use insurance information in the system, unless you look at the insurance history and see that a new policy has been issued. If not, a binder will be required. ( using system may pick up previous owner)
  • If buying a vehicle from an individual you have 7 business days to have it registered. 
  • If you sell a vehicle, you keep your tag. Tags can be transferred to new vehicles that are registered to the same first owner. Proof of title (bill of sale for 1985 and older) is required to purchase a tag or transfer a tag from a vehicle you no longer own.



  • The only form of payment accepted in this office for lapse of insurance fee’s are cash or money order.
  • It is YOUR responsibility to look over your final transaction verifying all  transactions and information is correct! NO REFUNDS

For further information regarding vehicle registration please visit the State of Georgia Motor Vehicle Division website at